Law Office of Lindsey M. Straus
For the past fourteen years I have been a solo practitioner, first in Boston and, since 2003, in Brewster on Cape Cod. I have successfully represented clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts, in administrative proceedings before the state Department of Employment and Training and Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, probated estates and represented clients in divorces in the Probate and Family Court, helped clients set up businesses, obtain registration of trademarks in the United States Patent & Trademark Office, and buy and sell businesses through asset purchase agreements.
For twelve years prior to opening my own law practice in 2002, I was Of Counsel to Mirick, O'Connell, DeMallie & Lougee, a large full-service firm in Worcester, Massachusetts. As a member of the Appellate Practice Group and Litigation Department, I handled a wide variety of civil cases in both state and federal trial and appellate courts, developing a well-deserved reputation for researching and drafting high quality memoranda of law (pre-trial, trial, post-trial and appellate) in legally and/or factually complex antitrust, breach of contract, business tort (Chapter 93A, trademark infringement), insurance coverage, ERISA, medical malpractice, plaintiffs class action, employment discrimination and civil rights litigations.
From 1979 to 1988, I was a litigation attorney with Mobil Oil Corporation specializing in antitrust, product liability and dealer franchise litigations. From 1977 to 1979, I was a litigation associate with Piper & Marbury (now DLA Piper) in Baltimore, Maryland specializing in product liability and antitrust litigation. I received my J.D. with honors in 1977 from the University of Maryland School of Law, where I was Assistant Editor of the Maryland Law Review and received numerous academic awards, including The Order of the Coif. I received my bachelor's degree cum laude from Harvard College in 1973, where I was an editor of The Harvard Crimson.
I am admitted to practice in Massachusetts, New York, and Maryland, before the First and Third Circuit Courts of Appeals, and in the District of Massachusetts and Maryland. From 2004 to 2008 I was Clerk to and Member of the Board of Trustees of First Parish (Unitarian Universalist) Brewster. For the past six years, I have served as the moderator elected by the congregation of the church's Annual Meeting, and currently serve as Chair of the Worship Committee, a member of the Committee on Ministry, and the By-Law Committee, and sing in the choir and perform as a member of our church band
Areas of Practice:
- Trademark & Copyright
- Estates & Trusts
- Civil Litigation
- Asset Purchase Agreements
- Non-Profit & Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Litigation and Appeals
- Complex Litigation
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Living Wills
- Powers of Attorney and Appointment
- Maryland, 1977
- New York, 1980
- Massachusetts, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1978
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1998
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 1977 J.D.
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Numerous Academic Awards
- Honors: The Order of the Coif
- Maryland Law Review, Assistant Editor
- Harvard University, 1973 A.B.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: Editor, Harvard Crimson
- Published Works:
- Editor, The Harvard Crimson
- First Parish (Unitarian Universalist) Brewster Past Member, Board of Trustees
- First Parish (Unitarian Universalist) Brewster, Moderator
Past Employment Positions:
- Mirick, O'Connell, DeMallie & Lougee, Of Counsel, 1990-2002
- Fordham & Starrett, Of Counsel, 1988 - 1990
- Mobil Oil Corporation, Litigation Attorney, 1979 – 1988
- DLA Piper, Litigation Associate, 1977-1979
- June 1, 1951, New York, New York, United States of America