Here is a sampling of recent matters I have successfully handled:
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a large real estate developer of a multi-million dollar collection action brought by a local bank.
- Assisted same-sex couple in executing detailed estate plan involving transferring ownership of principal residence into revocable trusts
- Assisted couple in executing detailed estate plan providing for wife’s one-half interest in jointly held property which, absent such plan, would have gone to her husband upon her death, to be transferred into a Qualified Terminable Interest Trust, thus minimizing or eliminating state estate taxes that would otherwise have been owed upon husband’s death, preserving full value of estate for couple’s daughter.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement of a multi-million dollar collection action by an airport hangar manufacturer seeking to pierce the corporate veil to hold clients personally liable and to set aside a multi-million dollar transfer by the clients into an irrevocable trust, thus preserving and protecting the trust assets for the clients' spouses and children.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a client under the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A) who claimed she was billed twice for the same dental work in an amount equal to twice the amount she paid plus her attorney’s fees
- Assisted a gasoline dealer franchisee in exercising her right of first refusal to buy her station from a major oil company franchisor which allowed her to re-sell (i.e. flip) the property to a major pharmacy retailer at a $250,000.00 profit.
- Obtained a judgment in favor of a client who owed over twenty thousand dollars on a credit card by successfully excluding evidence that the alleged holder of the credit card debt (a buyer of “junk” credit card debt) actually owned the debt based on its failure to provide evidence of ownership during the discovery process even after agreeing to do so;
- After a two-day trial of an unemployment compensation appeal involving testimony from four witnesses, obtained reversal by hearing officer of Department of Employment and Training’s initial denial of unemployment benefits based on alleged termination for cause, which reversal was affirmed on appeal and resulted in payment of full unemployment compensation benefits to client.
- Persuaded national credit card company, based solely on a detailed letter threatening federal court action under federal Truth in Lending Act, to reverse ten thousand dollar charge on client’s credit card based on merchant’s forgery of credit card authorization form
- Helped owners of elder care service to obtain federal trademark registration for their new business
- Obtained favorable settlement of lawsuit brought in Maryland on behalf of clients claiming professional malpractice by financial advisor resulting in imposition of Internal Revenue Service of early withdrawal penalties on income clients earned from individual retirement account of client’s late father.
- Assisted client in summary process eviction of tenant of condominium in resort community, thus allowing client sufficient time to rent unit for summer season.
- Obtained reduction of alimony owed by client to ex-wife based on anticipated material change in financial circumstances when client, a self-employed businessman, retired.
Big firm expertise. Small firm rates.
Law Office of Lindsey M. Straus
110 Court Way
Brewster, MA 02631
Major Credit Cards Accepted.
Map and Directions
The Law Office of Lindsey M. Straus represents clients throughout Eastern Massachusetts, including the Cape Cod towns of Brewster, Hyannis, Provincetown, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, Orleans, Harwich, Dennis, Falmouth, Mashpee, Chatham, Yarmouth, Sandwich, Marstons Mills, Woods Hole, Barnstable, and Centerville, and throughout Barnstable County, Plymouth County, and Bristol County.